Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Contentment

In the tradition of the holiday season we had a sermon this week on the subject of contentment. The scripture was Matt. 6:19-21 (to sum it up it talks of storing up treasures in heaven versus treasures here on earth and ends with "...where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Brian then went on to discuss the law of entropy (summing that up is that every form of matter is moving from a state of order to disorder, or simply stated, decaying). After a nice visual using ice cream (it looks great right out of the freezer, but leave it long enough and it is a puddle in your bowl) he went on to discuss that treasures here on earth are subject to the law of entropy. So, then the treasures in heaven are the things that are not subject to that law, ie: love, good deeds, all the intangibles. Next came a discussion of 1 Timothy 6:6-12

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love , endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses."
Some observations to note about the above scripture...It does not say that the rich fall into temptation, but the desire to get rich can lead there. Also, money is not the root of all evil as we have been quoted so many times, but the love of money!

So, the major point of the sermon was that earthly treasures in themselves are not all evil. But, a steady diet of them leaves no room for you to desire the treasures of heaven. Brian used the example of giving up sugar last year for lent. He said the first two weeks were horrible, but after that he started to realize how great "regular" food tasted. He said he learned in his spiritual life that if he denies himself something, that it gives room for God to wake in him a desire for something else, something bigger, those intangibles!

Time for Kara's life application time/honest and open. I like stuff, and a lot of different stuff. Am I allowing my desire for this or that to over power my desires for the treasures of heaven? I look at my daughter and feel this gut wrenching love and sense of purpose and I'm beginning to learn that Natalie and all the lessons, frustration, and joy are some of my treasures in heaven. Maybe I should be pursuing the things in life that break me down to that gut wrenching love.

I also love to be busy and active. Sometimes I think I replace quiet time and introspection with filling my schedule with just one more thing. God does not care about my schedule and how much I want to do. This is a lesson that has been taught to me in a very real way the past month or so. You don't get to be busy when you are on bed rest or "taking it easy" and there are a lot of people in my life who will remind me if I push it (not to mention the little bundle of joy that sends me piles of contractions if I misbehave). I have learned what it means to slow down and just find the miracles and beauty in the world around me, even in my own home. I've studied Natalie for hours and find myself praising God without even realizing it because of the wonder and love she fills me with. I've learned what a loving and caring husband I have who is patient beyond what I deserve or can even fathom. He starts every day brand new with a great attitude. I have much to learn from him. I have learned how to receive acts of service from others and to enjoy it, not feel guilty because I'm used to being the one to serve others. I'm learning how to accept love! Okay, enough rambles. Ryan and I are heading off to sunny Florida on Thursday and I will be thinking of you all, as I sit by the pool!

3 comments:

the buurstra's said...

Florida?! What for?

Oh, and I liked the introspective entry...very interesting. Good things to think about especially at this time of year when buying STUFF is so important...thanks for sharing!

Have fun! Dont get too tan!! :)

Jessica Brown said...

Loved the post. Thanks for the great thoughts :)... So important this time of year!

Enjoy Florida! I'll miss watching Natalie!

L-Town Rollers said...

Contentment

Blogging once every other month when there is so much going on in your life that your friends who live out of state would like to know about. Especially Michael and the size of your belly. Oh wait, there's another word for that.

Selfish

Love you guys!! :-)